Since starting the Boys on the Plaque last year Fabrica has always wondered who the maker behind the plaque was. In an effort to find out, today we removed the plaque from the wall in the hopes that the makers name, initials, the date it was made – or for that matter, anything – would be inscribed on the back. To our dismay however, it was blank.
Despite our failure to find out this information, we did figure out some other interesting things in the process. For one, this gives us an opportunity to reinforce and secure the hinges that the plaque is on, to hopefully prolong its legacy further. Secondly, we also got to see the original wall behind the plaque that had been untouched since 1914. On this wall there were three other screw marks in the shape of a triangle in the centre – suggesting that a triptych may have been hung in the space before the plaque went up.